Food Programs Coordinator Position
Period: March 2014 – February 2015 with opportunity to renew based on funding
LUSH Valley Food Action Society is a grassroots, non-profit food security organization based in the Comox Valley. We support food-related projects that promote community health, personal empowerment, and environmental stewardship. For more information on our organization, please visit www.lushvalley.org.
LUSH Valley invites applications for a Programs Coordinator to organize and oversee programs offered by the Society as noted below. The ideal applicant would be a community-minded and dynamic individual who is capable of working collaboratively with staff, board members, employees and volunteers to accomplish the organization’s goals and priorities in accordance with time and funding limitations. The Food Programs Coordinator will be tasked with organizing, assisting, or running LUSH Valley programs as needed.
Programs Coordinator Duties and Activities
· Attends monthly Board Meetings providing a report on activities including any issues, requirements or concerns, to assist with the smooth functioning of programs, the writing of funding proposals and reporting to the funders.
· Develops and implements food programs in collaboration with other staff, i.e. Young Cooks, Family Literacy Outreach, Community Kitchens, Pocket Market, Member Pantry; works collaboratively with other members of these committees to develop policy and procedures, source facilitators, suppliers, volunteers, field trip hosts and other requirements for office, kitchen and other programs as time allows.
Duties Specific to Young Cooks Coordinator
· Plan and facilitate afterschool and summer program intake.
· Teach food and life skills, including basic budgeting, effective interaction, meeting goals and building positive relationships.
· Introduce youth to the local food system through field trips.
· Develop the Young Cooks program to meet the LVFAS mission and the program purpose.
· Health related education
· Effective and proven communication skills with vulnerable populations
· Experience working with youth
· Knowledge of food security and poverty issues
· Cooking experience
· Food Safe certification
· Criminal Record check
· Class 4 driver’s license is an asset but not a requirement
· Experience working productively both independently and in teams
· Experience planning & executing tasks
· Strong organizational skills
· Computer skills (MS Office, Adobe, social media)
The base salary is $15/hr (inclusive of vacation & holiday pay) at 25hrs/week based on month-to-month wage with opportunities for wage enhancement through additional project & contract opportunities. The position includes two weeks of paid vacation time and (sick days). Work hours may be flexible and based on events, programs and office hours.
Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. or dropped off at our office 1126 Piercy Ave Courtenay. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
LUSH Valley is committed to social justice and employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority gender or sexual orientations, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities. Canadian citizens or permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applications for their interest in this position. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.