Since 2002, LUSH Valley has run a highly successful Fruit Tree Program that organizes volunteers to pick and redistribute fresh fruit and produce from local homes, farms and orchards to those who need it most.
We are currently seeking a Fruit Tree Program Coordinator for the 2016 season. This is a temporary, part-time hands-on position that coordinates the gleaning of fresh produce from fruit tree owners and farms for delivery to food programs throughout Comox Valley.
- Works with Program Coordinator to organize volunteers
- Meets with landowners and is on site to organize and help with picks as well as lead picks when necessary
- Collects and takes account of supplies and equipment, including ensuring an adequate amount of boxes or containers are available for picks
- Harvests and WwKnowledge of the amount of produce being collected and stored and responsible for its scheduled delivery and Ensure that the weight of s produce collected at a pick is recorded and ensures its delivery directly to the program’s partner food providers programsor to appropriate storage
- Works with Program Coordinator to orientate volunteers to the program and ensures they are aware of safety precautions and have signed LUSH Valley waivers
- Works with Program Coordinator to maintain statistics on the program (amounts of produce collecteddonated, the source from who, deliverieswhere the food was delivered and amount, volunteer hours, and type of fruit, etc) and. sShares them these statistics on a monthly basis with the Executive Director
- Fosters and maintains relationships with emergency food providers and local growers (local farmers, fruit tree owners, and home gardeners) to enhance the distributiondelivery of producefood donations
- Responsible for buildingprocuring new relationships with farmers, businesses and land owners in order to help increase awareness of the program and gleaning opportunities.
- Organizes region- wide gleaning events for where volunteers to glean at a will come to a farm or orchard to harvest and sort producefood for distribution to partneremergency food providers
- Assists in planning a volunteer appreciation activitiesevent, and works with Program Coordinator to send out thank you letters to donors
- Experience working with emergency food providers, and food producersarmers is an asset.
- Understanding the continuum of the food system, with knowledge of the local food security movement.
- Have a reliable vehicle with capacity to carry up to 300lb of fruit and equipmentladders (fuel costs reimbursed).
- Able to lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to build strong working relationships with volunteers, farmers, volunteers, fruit tree owners, and emergency food providers
- Good written and oral communication and computer skills, including the ability to use Word and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally
- Organized and able to manage multiple assignments and priorities
- Team player with professional standards, positive attitude and flexibility
The position will run from mid-June till the end of October. Remuneration is $18 per hour, flexibility is a must as hours range from 5 - 20 per week, with an average of 15 hours per week. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Please submit your resume to Andrea at email@example.com by June 3rd, 2016.