Dear farmers, purchasers and food sustainability partners,
There's a movement afoot to develop a valley-wide Food Co-op. Please join us for a meeting to explore the idea, discuss overall goals, and establish a roadmap to making it happen:
Date: Thursday, Oct.3
Time: 1:00 - 2:30
- Networking and munchies from 1-1:30
- Discussion from 1:30-2:30, ending right on time so that you can be home for some more farming
Location: Lewis Centre Salish Building
RSVP / Questions: Rick Juliusson - Rick@FreeRangeConsulting.ca or call 250-737-1687.
Please forward this to other farmers or interested parties, or to your listserves and newsletters - the more people we have, the stronger our vision will be.
Why? Two apparently contradictory facts about our food system:
(1) Farmers have trouble selling all their produce, and
(2) Restaurants and stores have trouble getting enough.
The logical solution is to bring the two groups together. A new Valley Food Co-op is forming to do just that – create a co-operative “food hub” where producers can aggregate, store and distribute their produce. We may also decide together to address such issues as farmer education, access to land, labour, public education... when we're all at the table together, we can really make a difference.
The end results will be:
- increased income for farmers,
- steady local food supply for restaurants and stores,
- local food more regularly featured in local stores and restaurants year-round, and
- an overall increase in food production and sustainability in the valley.
In this organizational meeting we'll talk about overall goals and create a roadmap to developing this co-op over the next year. Thank you to the BC Co-operative Association for sponsoring this initiative. Hope to see you on Thursday, Oct.3.