Assistant Programs Coordinator: Canada Summer Jobs Student Position
Start date: ASAP for 8 weeks
LUSH Valley Food Action Society is a grassroots, non-profit food security organization based in the Comox Valley. We support food-related projects that promote community health, personal empowerment, and environmental stewardship. For more information on our organization, please visit www.lushvalley.org.
LUSH Valley invites applications for an Assistant Programs Coordinator to assist with organizing and overseeing programs offered by the Society as noted below. The ideal applicant would be a community-minded and dynamic individual who is capable of working collaboratively with staff, board members, employees and volunteers to accomplish the organization’s goals and priorities.
The Assistant Programs Coordinator will work directly with the Food Programs Coordinator.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Fosters relationships with community partners through participation in community events and attending community meetings in conjunction with members and staff;
· Collaborates with the Program Coordinator on proposal writing and funding applications for new programs and short-term projects;
· Assists with providing education, training and presentations to community groups.
· Collaborates with members and staff to develop policy and procedure in office, kitchen and for programs.
· Assists with planning LUSH Valley events and attending community events.
· Co-ordinates and facilitates the implementation and delivery of new programs or projects;
· Assists with the coordination and facilitation of current programs (Garden Share, Fruit Tree Program, and all Cooking Programs); in conjunction with program facilitators of kitchen and community programs.
· The Student Kitchen Manager and the Student Assistant Program Coordinator will work together on various projects as their positions will overlap.
· Assists with coordination and facilitation of community roundtable on strengthening the local food system.
· Health related education
· Effective and proven communication skills with vulnerable populations
· Experience working with youth
· Knowledge of food security and poverty issues
· Cooking experience
· Food Safe certification
· Criminal Record check
· Class 4 driver’s license is an asset but not a requirement
· Experience working productively both independently and in teams
· Experience planning & executing tasks
· Strong organizational skills
· Computer skills (MS Office, Adobe, social media)
This job is made possible by the Canada Summer Jobs Initiative
To be eligible to participate in the CSJ initiative, individuals must:
· be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
· have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
· be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and,
· be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
· The base salary is $11.50/hr (inclusive of vacation & holiday pay) at 30hrs/week for eight weeks.
Resumes with cover letters can be sent to email@example.com. or dropped off at our office 1126 Piercy Ave Courtenay. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
LUSH Valley is committed to social justice and employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority gender or sexual orientations, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities. Canadian citizens or permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applications for their interest in this position. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.