LUSH Valley Food Action Society is a grassroots, non-profit food security organization based in the Comox Valley. We support food-related projects that promote community health, personal empowerment, and environmental stewardship. For more information on our organization, please visit www.lushvalley.org.
LUSH Valley invites applications for a Kitchen Manager to assist with the operations and maintenance of the Society’s kitchen. The ideal applicant would be a community-minded and dynamic individual who is capable of working collaboratively with staff, board members, employees and volunteers to accomplish the organization’s goals and priorities.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring volunteers, clients and community members carry out kitchen cleaning requirements after use.
- Maintain up keep of kitchen, supplies stocked, broken items replaced, and equipment functioning.
- Ensures groups have an appropriate food safety plan.
- Create a food safety plan for the kitchen in collaboration with mentor- implementing processes and procedures.
- Work with kitchen program facilitators (Community Kitchens, Young Cooks, and Food Skills for Families) so that programs are run in a safe, clean and functioning environment.
- Act as a point of contact for volunteers, staff, and community members interested in utilizing the kitchen.
- Oversee bookings and ensure there is no overlap.
- In collaboration with mentors schedule monthly meetings to review maintain and improve relations between volunteers, staff, and community members in utilizing the kitchen.
- In collaboration with mentors develop and implement marketing and media plan for commercial rental space.
- Take on a leadership role with supports from mentors in ensuring the fluid functioning of the LUSH Valley Kitchen.
- Report to mentors and office staff with any pressing concerns requiring immediate attention.
- Participate in community outreach, attending community events to engage community members in participating in kitchen programs and renting the kitchen.
- The Student Kitchen Manager and the Student Assistant Program Coordinator will work together on various projects as their positions will overlap.
To be eligible to participate in the CSJ initiative, individuals must:
· be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
· have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
· be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and,
· be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
· The base salary is $11.50/hr (inclusive of vacation & holiday pay) at 30hrs/week for eight weeks.
Resumes with cover letters can be sent to email@example.com. or dropped off at our office 1126 Piercy Ave Courtenay. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
LUSH Valley is committed to social justice and employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority gender or sexual orientations, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities. Canadian citizens or permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applications for their interest in this position. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.