It is a space where gardening skills, education, and mentorship with an emphasis on self-sufficiency are nurtured through the collective support of community members, volunteers, and partnerships with community organizations.
The Community Garden Coordinator will be responsible for garden planning, organizing and general maintenance. He/she will report directly to the Lush Valley Program Coordinator.
This position is supported by Canada Summer Jobs/HRSDC. To be considered for the position, applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age, and be a registered full time student intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
The position will run for a total of 9 weeks, 30 hours per week. Remuneration is $16 per hour.
- Responsible for the general maintenance of the Lush Valley Demonstration Garden Beds including planning, planting, weeding, watering and harvesting.
- Responsible for general grounds keeping of the community garden including landscaping and lawn mowing
- Oversee volunteer activities in the garden
- Daily care of garden equipment making sure they are cleaned and returned to the storage area each day
- Collection of litter/debris
- Assist with composting projects
- Be a friendly point person for gardeners. Log on-site questions and concerns and forward to the Program Coordinator
- Responsible for up-keep of garden signage.
- Assist the Program Coordinator in communication and scheduling of garden events, work parties etc
- Assist the Program Coordinator in
- Be aware and work with Program Coordinator on major upcoming projects (ie: fence building, grading etc)
- Oversee onsite safety and report issues to Program Coordinator
- Assist with workshops and garden related projects as needed
- Must have prior experience working with gardens, farms or in the agricultural or horticultural sector, and be up to date on sustainable gardening methods.
- Construction skills are an asset
- Strong problem solving, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Experience working with marginalized people or a background in social work is an asset.
- Education and/or experience related to planning special events, fundraising and working with the community
- Demonstrated interest in healthy, local and sustainable food systems
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Proficient in the use of word processing and spreadsheet software
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Andrea at email@example.com by June 10th, 2016.